I read a lot – no surprise there. But, I read like, a lot a lot – this year alone I have read some 200 books, which is CRAZY. It is too much, I know, but I just cannot seem to help myself. Anyway, the usual reaction I get when I tell people about how much I read, is that they just don’t have the time to read.
I can understand how you might feel that way, but trust me, if you want to read, you can make time. I have full understanding for when it gets a little hectic and you don’t have time (happens to me as well), but, I have decided to write a little post on how to read more.
Here we go!
- Get really exciting books. Perhaps this sounds like a duh? idea, but I find that the more exciting a book is, the less likely I am to put it down. So go on Goodreads, or check out the best sellers, or just ask people for recommendations! Sometimes you want to support struggling authors, and you want to read books that not everybody else is reading, but guys – books are on best seller lists for a reason. So pick up a book that you know is exciting.
- Turn off the TV. Guys, the TV is the enemy… GAH! No, I watch TV all the time, love it! But sometimes, if I want to catch up on my reading, I’ll turn it off and go and read. A lot of people that don’t have time to read, have a surprising amount of time to watch television… cough cough. Just saying, if you really want to read, you’ll make time.
- Read short books. There is not a prize for picking up 1000-paged monsters to prove literary superiority. Sometimes, something short and sweet will be just long enough – I know a lot of people who lose interest if the book is too long, so just pick something up that is a little shorter. Some of my favorite books are less than 300 pages, so there are some really great ones out there.
- Read before bedtime. This is what I do, just to ensure that I get some reading done. I have really a really busy schedule, with homework, studying, dog-training, working-out, blogging, trying to maintain somewhat of a social life, and some days I just don’t read anything. But like, just half-an-hour, or hour, before I go to bed, I read – and this is my favorite time of the day.
- Set the mood… Guys, make that cup of tea, put on that Adele, sit down in your comfy-chair with a blanket, and read. Those days when you have time for some you-time with a book, are just wonderful. Sometimes, you just need to get comfy to get into a book, and snuggling into your favorite spot usually does the trick, in my opinion. The ultimate Friday night guys… Did I talk about having a social life? Yeah. scratch that.
That is my list guys! 5 ways to read more! But don’t feel to guilty for not reading, we all have really busy lives, and sometimes there simply just isn’t time. Happens to me – I have not read anything in like a week (GASP!) because I have been so busy. And sometimes you just don’t feel like reading – accept that. I’ve tried to push through when I wasn’t feeling like reading, and ended up not liking the books. Reading, in my experience, is not something that can be enjoyed when forced.
So, I hope you found this post helpful, and that you will go and read some!
Have a nice day!